Royal Family latest: Meghan Markle secures major court win – judge rejects appeal request | Royal | News – Royal family news


Meghan Markle privacy court case ruling discussed by Levin

The High Court has judged the newspaper had breached Meghan’s privacy and infringed her copyright by publishing parts of the five-page letter she wrote to Thomas Markle. Last month, Judge Mark Warby ruled in her favour without holding a trial. He ruled the articles were a clear breach of privacy after the Mail on Sunday argued the duchess had intended the letter’s contents to become public and it formed part of a media strategy.

During a hearing held on Tuesday, Judge Warby said the paper could not appeal that decision, adding he saw “no real prospect” that the Court of Appeal would reach a different outcome.

But the Mail on Sunday can still apply directly to the court.

The court had earlier been told Meghan legal team were looking for more than £1.5million in legal costs, with half the amount to be paid within 14 days.

Judge Warby instead agreed to make an interim costs order of £450,000, adding the final sum “may well be considerably more than that” after other outstanding issues were resolved at hearings taking place at a later date.

Meghan Markle

Royal Family latest: Meghan was awarded £430,000 as a provisional payment towards her legal costs (Image: GETTY)

Meghan’s lawyers also wanted the newspaper to hand over copies of the letter it might have, and ordered the judge to order the paper to publish a statement on its front page stating she had won her case.

They also wanted a notice also placed on the MailOnline’s home page for “not less than 6 months” to act as a deterrent.

But Judge Warby said he would not make an order for the delivery or destruction of any copies of the letter yet.

Meghan’s lawyer Ian Mill insisted at hearing on Tuesday they were not looking to punish the newspaper, and would accept nominal damages based on the profits the Mail made from its articles, saying this was a “proportionate” way forward.

But in its written submissions, the paper’s lawyers wrote: “No purpose would be served by a hearing to determine the precise amount, which by definition is not relevant. It is suggested that 1 pound, 2 pounds or 5 pounds would do.”

Follow Express.co.uk for live Royal Family updates:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are currently living in LA (Image: GETTY)

12.32am update: Meghan Markle accused of ‘exaggerating her problems’ as Duchess ‘pays price’ of privilege

Meghan Markle has been criticised for exaggerating her problems and refusing to accept that a life of huge privilege comes at a price.

The Duchess of Sussex has complained bitterly about the intense media scrutiny she was subjected to as a member of the Royal Family.

Meghan also found the constraints imposed on her by Royal protocols frustrating. She said she didn’t want to become a voiceless figurehead; but when she raised her voice, she was often criticised for it.

Melanie Kaidan takes over live reporting from Paul Withers

8.30pm update: Meghan Markle’s Oprah Winfrey interview ‘in the planning for two years’, insiders claim

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s much-anticipated interview with Oprah Winfrey was reportedly in the planning for two years, sources have claimed.

Meghan Markle, 39, and Prince Harry’s, 36, tell-all interview with US chat show icon Oprah Winfrey is due to air this weekend and has royal fans chomping at the bit.

But while news of the sitdown rocked the Palace earlier this month, as the Sussexes agreed to it without informing the Queen, it was reportedly in the planning for two years, insiders have claimed.

The interview is said to have come about after Meghan originally tried to arrange a televised talk with CBS anchor and friend Gayle King following the birth of her son Archie Harrison in May 2019, sources told Daily Mail.com.

But the TV sitdown was overruled by the Palace press team at the time over fears “it would alienate the UK press”, one insider claimed.

7.15pm update: Prince Philip health update: Duke will not receive visits from family members

Prince Philip will not receive further visits from the Royal Family unless his condition worsens, a royal expert has claimed.

Prince Philip, 99, was transferred by ambulance to St Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London on Monday, having spent nearly two weeks at the private King Edward VII’s Hospital.

The Duke of Edinburgh was visited by Prince Charles who travelled from his home in Gloucestershire for the visit. But Royal Editor Rebecca English has said Philip will “probably” not be visited by more family members.

Speaking to Palace Confidential on MailPlus, Ms English said: “Members of the Royal Family don’t tend to visit each other in hospital.

“That’s not because they don’t care but because they know a royal visit to hospital actually comes with quite a great deal of disruption.

“Obviously that’s something they don’t want at the best of times, let alone now.

“I think as long as he seems to be responding well to the treatment, probably not but never say never.

“If he does start getting a lot of visitors we would start to read something into that.”

6.15pm update: Meghan Markle fans praise Duchess ‘walking the walk’ after ‘service is universal’ promise

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been praised for “walking the walk” after they unveiled their projects to mark International Women’s Day.

Meghan and Prince Harry have updated the website of their organisation Archewell to match up with their latest call for action entirely dedicated to women. Archewell.com now features more than 20 “real acts of compassion” in support of both Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day.

In the wake of this change, fans of the Sussexes took to Twitter to celebrate the royals.

One, using a clip of a man clapping his hands, wrote: “Harry and Meghan walking the walk as usual.”

Another said: “They’ve always said, they rather get down and do the work instead of just show up, cut ribbons and wave. We are excited for what’s to come.”

A third added: “I love this couple they lead with their actions.”

4.30pm update: Queen holds call with British Army head

The Queen has continued her official Royal duties by holding a meeting with the head of the British Army.

Her Majesty spoke with chief of the General Staff, General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, by telephone from Windsor Castle.

They discussed how the Army has continued to support communities throughout the UK as the country fights the coronavirus pandemic, as well as carrying out operational duties overseas.

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle is pregnant with her second child (Image: GETTY)

3.24pm update: Oprah ‘livid’ over Corden interview as ‘cheap’ Harry and Meghan torn apart in rant

Oprah Winfrey is likely “livid” over Prince Harry’s interview with James Corden as she is not able to claim exclusive lines from his chat for her own sit-down with the royal, a political commentator claimed.

Oprah Winfrey is likely unhappy over Prince Harry’s interview with James Corden as she can not use his anger towards the British press as her own exclusive line, according to i Paper’s Late Editor Benjamin Butterworth.

Harry and Meghan Markle’s privilege has also been “cheaply” reduced through their interviews.

The journalist tore into the royal couple for lamenting about hardship when many in the world have been suffering from the fallout of COVID-19.

Mr Butterworth said: “I think they were desperate to get their story out there.

“Anyone that saw James Corden and Prince Harry on Friday, first of all, Oprah must have been livid that he’d already given the line of why he quit the Royals to James Corden so she’s not got that as an exclusive.

“So she’s wasted a couple of million there but I just find it utterly extraordinary how a couple that are so rich and have had such a high position in life as the Duke and Duchess can manage to make themselves appear so cheap.”

3.10pm update: ‘In bad taste!’ Meghan and Harry urged to postpone Oprah chat while Philip in hospital

MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry have been urged to push back the broadcast of their bombshell Oprah interview until Prince Philip has been discharged from hospital as it would be “in bad taste” to air it while the duke is treated for an infection.

The two-hour programme is scheduled to be broadcast on CBS on Sunday evening, but a new poll has shown eight in 10 people think it should be postponed out of respect for Philip, 99.

The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to hospital two weeks ago suffering from an infection and was transferred to a different hospital for tests on his pre-existing heart condition on Monday.

Buckingham Palace said he “remains comfortable and is responding to treatment”.

The Queen’s husband is expected to stay at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in central London “until at least the end of the week,” the palace said.

As royal fans prepare for Harry and Meghan’s tell-all with Oprah in less than a week, Express.co.uk conducted an exclusive poll asking readers if they thought the programme should be shown while Philip lies in a hospital bed.

Eighty-six percent (4,825) said the CBS special should be delayed due to the circumstances.

Just 13 percent (745) said the US network should go ahead with the broadcast, expected to rake in millions of viewers. And only one percent (69) said they didn’t know.

Royal news

The line of succession to the throne (Image: EXPRESS)

Paul Withers taking over live reporting from Luke Hawker.

1.40pm update: Queen to snub Meghan and Harry interview as Royal Family fully focus on Prince Philip

The Queen will not be sitting down to watch her grandson’s highly anticipated interview with Oprah Winfrey but will instead remain fully focused on Prince Phillip’s health, according to Palace experts.

Royal correspondent Simon Vigar appeared on Jeremy Vine on Tuesday to discuss how this Sunday’s upcoming interview special with the Sussexes and Oprah may distract the Royal Family from the concerns surround the Duke of Edinburgh‘s health.

 

Mr Vigar insisted that while there would be interest from the Palace in what Prince Harry says, the Queen will remain focused on her husband’s health and royal duties.

1.00pm update: Meghan and Harry warned over ‘horrendous’ timing of Oprah interview

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been warned the timing of their interview with Oprah Winfrey is “horrendous” and the screening should be postponed while the Duke of Edinburgh is unwell, a PR expert has said.

Public relations and crisis consultant Mark Borkowski warned that Harry and Meghan are at risk of a “real reputational mess” if they go ahead with the broadcast in the US on Sunday.

Harry’s grandfather Philip, 99, spent nearly two weeks in the private King Edward VII’s Hospital before being transferred to St Bartholomew’s Hospital on Monday for tests on a pre-existing heart condition.

Mr Borkowski said: “The timing is just horrendous.

“Anybody who looks at this through the optics of a caring family, even a family who are estranged from one another, it’s very uncomfortable as you edge towards Sunday.”

Prince Harry and Meghan's interview

Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview will be aired on Sunday (Image: CBS)

12.20pm update: Meghan Markle legal case: Duchess demands £750k in costs and ALL copies of father’s letter

Meghan Markle is seeking £750,000 as “an interim payment on account” of the legal costs in bringing her claim, the court has been told.

The Duchess of Sussex is taking action against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) – the publisher of The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline – over a series of articles which reproduced parts of the letter sent to Thomas Markle, 76, in August 2018.

Ian Mill QC, who represents Meghan, has outlined what the Duchess of Sussex is requesting from the publisher.

The barrister said Meghan was willing to “cap her damages” for misuse of private information “at a nominal award”, in order to “avoid the need for time and cost to be incurred in debating these issues”.

Mr Mill also asked the publisher to fork out £750,000 within two weeks as “an interim payment on account” of Meghan’s legal costs in bringing the claim.  

11.40am update: Meghan Markle has ‘classic’ £125,000 Cartier bracelet from Princess Diana

Meghan Markle has a huge jewellery collection including pieces from both designer and high-street brands.

For her preview appearance with Oprah, she opted for a luxurious bracelet, which previously belonged to Princess Diana.

In the new teaser released on CBS, the Duchess is seen accessorising her £3,000 Giorgio Armani dress with several pieces of jewellery, including a diamond tennis bracelet from Princess Diana’s collection.

10.55am update: Queen hailed for ‘unbelievable’ dedication to Crown despite Prince Philip health fears

The Queen has been praised as “unbelievable, amazing, fantastic” after Buckingham Palace shared details of one of her recent royal engagements.

The Queen has been commended for always putting duty first despite her family’s concerns after she appeared in a video call with officials in South Australia.

Her former press secretary Dickie Arbiter wrote on Twitter: “Despite being thousands of miles away in Windsor Castle the Queen, with her stamina, commitment, sense of humour, and, all the while Prince Philip is in hospital, has unveiled a statue of herself in Australia.”

Royal Family

An extended map of the Royal Family tree (Image: EXPRESS)

10.20am update: Meghan and Harry to take aim at palace officials in ‘no holds barred interview’

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with chat show queen Oprah Winfrey could involve “fierce attacks” on palace courtiers, a Royal expert has predicted.

Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams told the Daily Star that he believed that the Duke and Duchess will aim their fire on both the media and palace officials.

He said: “We will see when it airs, but the audience in a no holds barred interview – which this claims to be – will primarily want to know why they stepped back and then down as working royals.

“We know there will be fierce attacks on media intrusion and probably on courtiers.”

9.45am update: Prince Philip not popular enough to push Meghan and Harry into dropping Oprah interview

Prince Philip is not a large enough public figure in the US to reschedule Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, a royal expert has warned.

Prince Philip‘s hospitalisation may not be a “significant enough development” for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s Oprah Winfrey interview to be moved, a royal expert has warned.

The Duke of Edinburgh is currently undergoing further tests after being transferred to St Bart’s hospital.

ITV Royal Editor Chris Ship joined Good Morning Britain this morning, he said: “I don’t know how big a figure Prince Philip is in the US.

“Clearly everyone knows who the Queen is, and this is the Queen’s husband.

“But I wonder whether CBS would think that him being in hospital would be a significant enough development.”

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle sits down with Oprah Winfrey (Image: CBS)

9.20am update: Meghan Markle and Harry’s Oprah Winfrey interview filmed at a friend’s mansion

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry filmed the CBS special with Oprah Winfrey at a friend’s house.

Two teaser clips for the bombshell interview were released yesterday, sending royal fans into frenzy and sparking speculation. 

Initial reports claimed the Duke and the Duchess of Sussex had been filmed in the garden of their $14.5 million Montecito mansion.

However, journalist Gayle King, who is friends with host Oprah, rebuked previous speculation about the location.

The TV mogul said the interview, which is due to air next Monday on CBS, was filmed in the grounds of a friend’s property.

9.00am update: Prince Philip health: ‘Worried’ Palace aides issue swipe at Meghan and Harry

The health of Prince Philip is the main focus of the Royal Family at the moment, Buckingham Palace aides have said, after two clips from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey were released yesterday.

Prince Philip was yesterday transferred to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for further treatment and testing, the palace revealed, as he nears two full weeks in hospital.

In the wake of this, royal aides have suggested the upcoming interview is not at the forefront of their mind.

A royal source said: “The family is very worried about him and their thoughts are very much with him rather than this Oprah interview.

“They have much more important things to worry about.”

Prince Philip

Royal Family live: Prince Philip remains in hospital (Image: PA)

8.30am update: Meghan Markle sends critics coded message in Oprah interview – ‘Refusal to accept defeat’

Meghan Markle used her designer dress to send a cryptic message about her “refusal to accept defeat” as tensions with her in-laws continue a year after Megxit, it has been claimed.

In the trailer for Oprah Winfrey’s interview of Meghan and Prince Harry, the duchess donned a £3,300 black Armani number with a lotus flower across her chest.

The pregnant royal may have used the outfit to convey a coded message to viewers about her journey out of the Royal Family.

8.05am update: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry pictured for first time since Oprah “tell-all” interview

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have made their first appearance since the two new Oprah interview trailers were revealed.

The couple were spotted driving near their Montecito home, north of Los Angeles. Prince Harry was seen driving the car with Meghan in the passenger seat – both wearing a dark pair of sunglasses.

Harry was reportedly wearing a pale polo shirt and Meghan could be seen sporting a wide-brimmed straw hat.

Also in the vehicle was Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland seated behind her daughter.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *